- Crummy EA, Donckels EA, Baskin BM, Bentzley BS, & Ferguson SM (2019). The impact of cocaine and heroin drug history on motivation and cue sensitivity in a rat model of polydrug abuse. Psychopharmacology, 1-14.
- O’Neal TJ, Nooney MN, Thien K, & Ferguson SM (2019). Chemogenetic modulation of accumbens direct or indirect pathways bidirectionally alters reinstatement of heroin-seeking in high-but not low-risk rats. Neuropsychopharmacology, 1-12.
- Garcia AF, Nakata KG, & Ferguson SM (2018). Viral strategies for targeting cortical circuits that control cocaine-taking and cocaine-seeking in rodents. Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, 174, 33-41.
- Kerstetter KA, Wunsch AM, Nagata K, Donkels E, Neumaier JF, Ferguson, SM (2016) Corticostriatal afferents modulate responsiveness to psychostimulant drugs and drug-associated stimuli Neuropsychopharmacology: 41(4):1128-1137. pdf
- Ravinder S, Donckels EA, Ramirez JSB, Christakis DA, Ramirez J-M, Ferguson, SM (2016) Excessive sensory stimulation during development alters neural plasticity and vulnerability to cocaine in mice. eNeuro 3(4):1-11. pdf
- Yager L, Garcia A, Wunsch AM, Ferguson SM (2015) The ins and outs of the striatum: Role in drug addiction. Neuroscience: Invited Forefront review 301:529-41. pdf
- Ferguson SM and Neumaier JF (2015) Using DREADDs to investigate addiction behaviors. Curr Opinion Behav Sci 2:69-72. pdf
- Quina LA, Tempest L, Ng L, Harris J, Ferguson SM, Jhou T, Turner EE (2014) Efferent pathways of the mouse lateral habenula. J Comparative Neurology. 523(1):32-60. pdf
- Ferguson SM, Phillips PEM, Roth BL, Wess J, Neumaier JF (2013) Direct-pathway striatal neurons regulate the retention of decision-making strategies. J Neurosci 33(28):11668-11676. pdf
- Ferguson SM and Neumaier JF (2011) Grateful DREADDs: Engineered receptors reveal how neural circuits regulate behavior. Neuropsychopharm 37(1):296-7. pdf
- Ferguson SM, Eskenazi D, Ishikawa M, Wanat MJ, Phillips PEM, Dong Y, Roth BL, Neumaier JF (2011) Transient neuronal inhibition reveals opposing roles of indirect and direct pathways in sensitization. Nature Neurosci 14(1):22-4. pdf
- Ferguson SM, Sandygren NA, Neumaier JF (2009) Pairing mild stress with increased serotonin-1B receptor expression in nucleus accumbens increases susceptibility to amphetamine. Eur J Neurosci 30(8):1576-84. pdf
- Ferguson SM, Mitchell ES, Neumaier JF (2008) Increased expression of 5-HT6 receptors in the nucleus accumbens blocks the rewarding but not psychomotor activating properties of cocaine. Biol Psych 63(2):207-13. pdf
- Barot SK, Ferguson SM, Neumaier JF (2007) 5-HT1B receptors in nucleus accumbens efferents enhance both rewarding and aversive effects of cocaine. Eur J Neurosci 25(10):3125-31.
- Ferguson SM, Fasano S, Yang P, Brambilla R, Robinson TE (2006) Knockout of ERK1 enhances cocaine-evoked immediate early gene expression and behavioral plasticity. Neuropsychopharm 31:2660-8. pdf
- Ferguson SM and Robinson TE (2004) Amphetamine-evoked gene expression in striatopallidal neurons: regulation by corticostriatal afferents and the ERK/MAPK signaling cascade. J Neurochem 91(2):337-48. pdf
- Samaha A-N, Mallet N, Ferguson SM, Gonon F, Robinson TE (2004) The rate of cocaine administration alters gene regulation and behavioural plasticity: implications for addiction. J Neurosci 24(28):6362-70. pdf
- Ferguson SM, Thomas MJ and Robinson TE (2004) Morphine-induced c-fos mRNA expression in striatofugal circuits: modulation by dose, environmental context and drug history. Neuropsychopharmacology. 29(9):1664-74. pdf
- Ferguson SM, Norton CS, Watson SJ, Akil H and Robinson TE (2003) Amphetamine-evoked c-fos mRNA expression in the caudate-putamen: the effects of DA and NMDA receptor antagonists vary as a function of neuronal phenotype and environmental context. J Neurochem 86(1):33-44. pdf
- Uslaner JM, Crombag HS, Ferguson SM and Robinson TE (2003) Cocaine-induced psychomotor activity is associated with its ability to induce c-fos mRNA expression in the subthalamic nucleus: effects of dose and repeated treatment. Eur J Neurosci 17:2180-2186. pdf
- Ferguson SM, Brodkin JD, Lloyd GK, Menzaghi F (2000) Antidepressant-like effects of the subtype-selective nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonist, SIB-1508Y, in the learned helplessness rat model of depression. Psychopharmacology 152(3):295-303.